Simple Solutions To Financial Freedom

Unable to Find Work? Look at Your Employment Report

On Behalf of | Aug 14, 2017 | Credit, Education |

Did you know that you can request a copy of your employment report?

Frequently, we encourage our clients who suffer from a low credit score to get a copy of their credit report and check it for inaccuracies.  For example, a creditor may have placed a negative item on your report when you have a bona fide dispute as to whether you owe the money.  By law, you are entitled to dispute the entry and have your side represented on your credit report.   In many instances, by merely disputing the accuracy of the negative report, you will be able to increase your credit score.

Many job searchers do not know that some employers will seek information from firms that maintain databases about you,  and the employers will ask those firms to supply them a copy of their report.  These reports will usually provide information about your criminal background, prior employment, and places of residences.   If the potential employer relies on incorrect information it may cost you that job you are applying for.

Fair Credit Reporting Act

Under the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 U.S.C. § 1681 et seq. (“FCRA”), you may have the right to sue that reporting agency for loss of that job and other damages.  This statute also has certain restrictions on reporting even accurate information.  For example, the Fair Credit Reporting Act in most instances prevents the agency from disclosing criminal convictions that are more than seven years old.

If it seems to you that you are not getting jobs that you are qualified for, consider demanding a copy of your employment report in the same way that you would ask for a copy of your credit report.  If your report is wrong, you should contact your attorney.   In many cases, your lawyer will be able to insist on a correction and if you have sustained significant damage you could get the agency to pay your attorney fees as well.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act is a complicated statute, and for most lay people, it is difficult to represent yourself for any violations.   That is why we strongly recommend that you seek help from an attorney if you believe that the Fair Credit Reporting Act has been violated.

But Wait There’s More

Consumer News Mom has compiled a list of 10 Background Reports that you may want to consider examining once a year. Check it out: 10 Consumer Reports

We at the Bankruptcy Advocates do not recommend bankruptcy for all of our clients.   Frequently, bankruptcy is not the answer to our clients’ financial problems.  Like the situation described above, the solution would be to get the inaccurate information removed from your report instead of filing for bankruptcy.  We can help you get a copy of your employment report.   Give us a call.   The initial consultation is always free.

Southern Illinois Bankruptcy Attorney law firm Bankruptcy Advocates is located in Carbondale and serves a wide geographic community. The first consultation is always free. Give us a call at 618-549-9800 or email us at [email protected]  to speak about your case or legal matter. Convenient appointment times are available.